The Physics Department of the college was established in 1948. The department started M.Sc. Physics from the session 2004. Known for excellent academic teaching, the department in its efforts to promote research has got published research papers in various journals and has guided a number of students for the M.Phil projects.The department also has to its credit the distinction of being awarded a minor research project on “Statistical mechanical properties of free electron laser’ by U.G.C. Recently the department was instrumental in organizing a well attended two day conference on the theme ‘Laser and its Applications’. The Department is funded by DBT under Star College Scheme.
Special features of the department include :
- Six highly equipped laboratories including Solid State Lab, Nuclear Physics Lab, Optics Lab and Electronics Labexclusively for M.Sc classes.
- Modern equipment like ESR apparatus, Susceptibility Measurement apparatus, Frank Hertz apparatus, Microwave Kit, Four Probe Arrangement, GM Counters, Scintillation Counters, Michelson Interferometer etc.
- Regular arrangement of seminars and extension lecture by renowned university scholars and scientists.
Balwinder Singh Chahal, M.Sc., M.Phil., (Head of Dept ).Member Board of Studies Physics(PG) GNDU", Member moderation committee,GNDU, Member Faculty of Sciences, GNDU.
- Dr. Narveer Singh, M.Sc., Ph.D
- Dr Amanpreet Kaur Sandhu Ph.D
- Dr. Pankaj Soni Ph.D
- Dr. Chanchal Bedi