Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar is successfully running the department of physiotherapy since 1998 and has been established itself as one of the pioneer colleges in this field.
The department is having well designed and well equipped infrastructure, also running an out-patient department (OPD) in which patients suffering from musculo-skeletal , neurological problems are dealt with. The department is affiliated to GNDU Amritsar and is also recognized by IAP, which is a member of world confederation of physiotherapy (WCPT).
Bachelor in Physiotherapy (BPT) [Under GNDU, Amritsar]
Duration: 4 ½ years with compulsory six months rotatory internship in various medical disciplines.
Acceptability: The course module is universally accepted
Eligibility: High school leaving examination (10+2) with science subjects or its equivalent with alteast 50% aggregate marks.
Seats: A maximum of 40 students are admitted to the course in every session.
Admission procedure: The admission procedure entails an entrance test/interview for the eligible Indian, foreign students.
BPT 1st year
1. Anatomy 2. Physiology 3. Biochemistry 4. Electrotherapy-I
5. Exercise Therapy-I 6. Sociology 7. Punjabi/Punjab History and Culture
BPT 2nd Year
1. Pathology & Microbiology 2. Pharmacology 3. Electrotherapy-II
4. Exercise Therapy-II 5. Biomechanics 6. Psychology
BPT 3rd Year
1. Orthopaedics 2. General Medicine 3. PT in Orthopaedic Conditions
4. PT in Medical Conditions 5. Research Methodology 6. Clinical Training
BPT 4th Year
1. General Surgery 2. Neurology 3. Paediatrics & Geriatrics
4. PT in Medical Conditions-II 5. PT in Surgical Conditions 6. Principles of Rehabilitation
7. Computer Applications 8. Clinical Training
MPT(Master in Physiotherapy):MPT (Ortho, Neurology) under GNDU, Amritsar :
Looking into the demand and need of the profession, college has master level programs in its pipeline main objective of which is to equip the physiotherapy graduates with advance and specific knowledge and skill in particular specialty.
- Six days classroom teaching
- Demonstration of physiotherapy techniques
- Audio visual aids like LCD projector, OHP, epidiascope etc.
- Visual teaching through experiments in laboratories
- Guest lectures by eminent scholars.
- Visit to well established hospitals for surgery practicals.
- Clinical exposure in physiotherapy OPD which is located in college premises
- Case discussion
- Evaluation of patients
- Seminars, Assignments etc.
- Constant review and up-gradation of syllabus to meet with the advancements in medical sciences.
Physiotherapy department of Lyallpur Khalsa College has been established as per the guidance of IAP. It has :
- Well equipped anatomy museum and physiology lab
- Well equipped electro-therapy and exercise-therapy units with latest equipments.
- Sports physiotherapy units.
- Obesity clinics
- Pediatric therapy unit
- Hydro-therapy unit
- Relaxation unit with Sauna bath and Steam bath
- Bio-mechanics and Kinanthropometry equipment
Our OPD: A success story
In view of the community needs, the physiotherapy department of the college has its own Outdoor Patient Department (OPD) where health-care facilities are offered at subsidized rates. Information, guidance and treatment is offered to neurologically challenged patients of the society. Also OPD provides on-field first aid and care to the college sports persons. Patients suffering from Orthopaedic disorders like Frozen Shoulder, Cervical Spondylitis, Lowback Pain, Arthritis are managed by trained clinical staff. A specialized paediatric therapy unit has been established for the patients of Cereberal Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Gullian Barre syndrome. Facilities are available for the treatment of paralytic disorders, Erb's palsy, Polio Myelitis etc. College Outdoor Patients Department takes time to time initiative to create awareness against AIDS, DRUG ABUSE and other health problems in the adjoining localities. Various screening programs like Bone Mass Density estimation and cardiac health check up are also part of OPD services.
The department has a fully equipped dispensary which provides free medicines and first aid to students and staff of the college. During any emergency every initiative is taken to transfer the case to appropriate hospital of the city.
Department has taken a lead in providing extension services for poor and needy people in adjoining villages by conducting camps. In these camps patients are assessed and treated in village itself. Also education is provided regarding various joint problems and management.
Scope of the Course
Bachelor in Physiotherapy
In the last decade, Physiotherapy has paved its way from certificate level to doctorate level. It is now a important part of every medical team.
Clinical Therapist: After passing the 4½ year examination the student is eligible to work as a clinical therapist in India as well as other countries in various disciplines.
- General Surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeries
- Cardio Thoracic Units
- Burn and Trauma Units
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Pediatrics and Geriatrics
- Intensive care unit.
Sports Physiotherapist: He/She is eligible to be an essential part of the management/rehabilitation of on and off field sports injuries and in the conditioning of athletes for improving their performance.
Teaching: Physiotherapy also offers an opportunity for teaching in various academic setups.
Higher education opportunities : Physiotherapy also provides master's degree in various disciplines like :
- Physiotherapy in Orthopedics
- Physiotherapy in Neurology
- Physiotherapy in Pediatrics
- Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy
- Manual Therapy
- Sports Physiotherapy
Ph. D. Programme: Also available at some Indian Universities like Guru Nanak Dev University Amritsar, Punjabi University Patiala, Rajiv Gandhi University Karnataka