Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar, the premier educational institution of the country is ranked among the three topmost multi faculty degree colleges of entire India those have been re-accredited with ‘A’ grade with a high 3.74 CGPA in 4 point scale, by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in the meeting of the Executive Committee held on 16 September 2011. Some of the remarks and observation of the NAAC peer team report that highlight the distinctive features of the institution are given below :
- Eighty five year old reputed college with good physical infrastructure located in a green environment spreading up to 28 acres.
- The subjects offered have relevance to regional/national needs and have high employment potential.
- Admission procedure is transparent. Entrance test, academic performances, interviews and merit listings are the criteria for selection and admission.
- Students from disadvantaged community, economically weaker section, differently abled, women and sports personnel are appropriately considered in admissions.
- Slow and advanced learners are identified and remedial measures taken and implemented.
- Adequate facilities are available for disabled students in the library and in the college premises.
- In addition to traditional teaching method, use of audio video equipments, practical sessions, group discussion and interactive learning methods, Computer Assisted Learning and ICT adopted extensively.
- College has established 4 research centres exclusively for research and has undertaken research works.
- MOUs are signed with various institutions like hospitals and service sector to provide first hand experience to the learners.
- Infrastructural facilities are updated and maintained in an excellent manner.
- Library services are well coordinated and fully computerized with bar coding MARC and OPAC.
- College has 406 computers and 4 server installed in 6 labs and a cyber centre having 25 computer with LAN.
- Placement cell plays an active role in facilitating placement for students in well known institutions.
- Career Guidance Cell, Academic Counselling Cell, Personal Counselling, Women students Guidance Cell, Grievance Redress Cell etc. are active and effective.
- Management is functioning with clear vision and mission focusing empowerment of the students in general and women in particular.
- Attitude of management is highly supportive and encouraging. Principal as a leader is pro active and leads with well defined objectives maintaining team spirit.
- Finance Management System is computerized and internal and external audit system is implemented with propriety.
- Co-ordination and team work in the activities of the college.
- IQAC is formed. The cell is taking care of quality assurance, monitoring and motivating staff and students.
- Specific care is taken to address the needs of the socially backward, economically weak and differently abled. Gender audit and sensitizing courses are conducted.
- Stakeholders relations are maintained with due commitment and sincerity.
- Student satisfaction is of prime consideration and efforts to achieve this attempted.
- Supportive and encouraging management.
- Good academic result and reputation as a pioneer institution.
Besides, the college has the distinction of being selected under Star College Scheme of the Department of Science and Technology of the Govt. of India, whereby five prestigious Departments of the College viz. Chemistry, Physics, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Zoology and Botany receive grants to promote quality science education at the graduate level. Apart from this, the Department of Biotechnology of the college is covered under the FIST scheme of the DST.
The genesis of Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar, dedicated to selfless-service of humanity, dates back to 1908, when it was established first as Khalsa School at Lyallpur( now known as Faislabad in Pakistan) and later developed into a college in 1926. After its re-establishment in Jalandhar in 1948 following the partition of the country, the college has established itself as a leader in the field of higher education imparting quality education to more than 6000 students including 2600 girls.
Synthesizing the best of Indian tradition with the best of western values and knowledge, the college, during decades of its existence, has produced a large number of distinguished alumni who have made Punjab and India proud. The college has research oriented world class infrastructure for high level educational programmes in the streams of Humanities, Commerce, Computer Science and Information Technology, Science and Physiotherapy.
The four research centres- Centre of Historical Studies, Centre for Guru Granth Sahib Studies, Punjab Centre for Migration Studies and S. Balbir Singh Research Centre for Sciences have been established with an aim to promote research to hold seminars, symposia, and publish monographs based on genuine research.
The DELNET linked and INFLIBNET subscribed fully computerized two tier central library with collection of over 100000 books, in addition to departmental libraries facilitates effective teaching and quality research. NCC and NSS wings of the institution, its Social Sensitization Cell, Placement Cell, Centre for Youth Affairs, Centre for Competitive Exams and Personality Development and Legal Aid Cell work in consonance with the vision and mission of the institution. Besides, dignified Gurdwara Sahib and Heritage Home of the college are meant to persuade students to spirituality and know their roots.
The name of the college has become synonymous with excellence in sports. It holds the record of winning Teja Singh Samundari Trophy for twelve times. This year the college has been awarded Shahid Bhagat Singh Trophy for its great contribution in winning MAKA trophy by Guru Nanak Dev University.